The Lace Place
Check out the new Lace Place website at www.waverocklaceplace.com.au
The Lace Place Museum was built in 1990 to house the Blackburn Collection. Mrs Margaret Blackburn OAM JP of Perth (1920 -1990) had a keen interest in history and lace. To her own inherited family collection, she added pieces from Australia and overseas and was able to incorporate several smaller collections. Her Order of Australia Medal was awarded for service to Commercial Education.
The Blackburn Collection, offered as a bequest to the Western Australian Museum, was later purchased by the Mouritz family in Hyden. The Lace Place was officially opened on June 29, 1993 by his Excellency the Governor General of Western Australia, Sir Francis Burt.
The cabinets designed by Mrs Blackburn and Russel Mouritz are made from Western Australian Jarrah by Mr Haddad from Hadded Fine Furniture. Information folios are provided.
The original collection is complimented by antique gowns and wedding dresses from the Valerie Mouritz Collection. Additions by gift and purchase are frequently made to both collections.
The display was arranged by lace maker / curator Olwyn Scott, Valerie Mouritz and Sheenagh Collins.
Olwyn Scott has won many local, national and international awards for lace making. Most recently, she won a Gold award at the International Lace Biennial (held in Sansepolcro, Italy) for a 11 piece panel, depicting the emancipation of women. This took her 6 months to research.
Pieces of Interest
Batavia Lace -Fragments from the Dutch Ship "Batavia" wrecked in 1629 on the Abrolhos Islands near Geraldton.
Geraldine - The Gold Lace Bikini was bought by the Lace Group of The Embroidered Guild of WA for an exhibition to display a gold lace bikini. Her handbag is made from a bra, decorated with knotted lace by Erica Eayrs.
9am - 5pm daily
Entry through the Wildflower Shoppe