FORMATION & HISTORY
Formation of the Rock
History of the
The Sandalwood cutters were believed to be the first white men in the area from the 1860s to feed the incense trade in China. Grazing leases were taken out in the Narembeen area into the 1890s. The earliest recorded farming was in 1922 and descendants of these pioneer settlers still live in Hyden. Wheat production started in 1927 and it was carted to Kondinin until the railway link from Lake Grace reached Hyden in 1932.
Legend of Mulka's Cave
It was believed that as a result of breaking these rules she bore a son with crossed eyes. Even though he grew to be an outstandingly strong man of colossal height, his crossed eyes prevented him from aiming a spear accurately and becoming a successful hunter.
Out of frustration it is said Mulka turned to catching and eating human children, and he became the terror of the district. He lived in Mulka's cave, where the imprints of his hands can still be seen, much larger and higher than that of an ordinary man.
Apparently, his mother became increasingly concerned about him. When she scolded him for his anti-social behaviour he turned on his own mother and killed her. This disgraced him even further and he fled his cave, heading south.
The Aboriginal people of the area, outraged by Mulka's behaviour, then tracked down this man who had flouted all the rules. They caught him near Dumbleyung, 156km south west of Hyden, where they speared him to death. Because he did not deserve a proper ritual burial, they left his body to the ants: a grim warning to those who break the law.
Webmaster: Hyden Tourism Development Company
Hyden, Western Australia 6359
|Phone: 61 8 9880 5022||Fax: 61 8 9880 5018|
Original web design: www.4webmarketing.biz